Sunday, February 8, 2009

Gratitude




This is Mr. Ron Smalley. I met him yesterday at Nick's basketball game at Severns Valley. As Mr. Smalley slowly passed by our seats, it was evident that his health had been compromised in some way. Mama asked him if he'd had surgery, and the woman with him said that he had injured his carotid artery in Iraq, and as a result, had suffered two strokes. I explained that I was a photographer, and asked if I could take his picture. When I was finished, I sat back down and did a little eavesdropping. He was there to coach the next game, and he was helping some of his players memorize the Bible verse they were to recite before the game. I wish I'd known his story as he passed by me. I would have stood up. Thank you, Mr. Smalley - for all you've given, and all you continue to give. How ironic that your last name would be Smalley. You are anything but small.

2 comments: